Oregon County is named for the Oregon Territory in the western United States.
Created: February 14, 1845
Thomasville 1845 – 1860
Alton 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Alton
Location: Courthouse Square / Market Street
Built: 1939– 1942
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Earl Hawkins of Springfield
Contractor: Work Projects Administration
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored Ironton granite and concrete structure. The north front has a central entrance which is framed with stone. A horizontal band of stone runs below the first story windows. A band of stone runs along the roof line. This was a Work Projects Administration project ( WPA ). An addition was constructed in 1996.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Thomasville in 1847 with John R Woodside serving as superintendent. The second courthouse was built by G W Reed in Alton in 1861 at a cost of $4,550 and was destroyed by fire in October 1863. In 1861, the third courthouse was designed by W Harper and in 1871, the rebuilt courthouse was designed by Samuel W. Greer and constructed by J F Kidwell at a cost of $5,795. In 1904, the building was remodeled by W E Wadsworth at a cost of $5,100. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $100,000.
E – Ripley County
W – Howell County
Photos taken 2009