Maries County

US States / M / Missouri / Maries County
1334M09

Maries County is named for the Maries River, which is named for the French word “marias” meaning “marsh” or “swamp”.

 

Created:  March 2, 1855

County Seat:

Vienna  1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Vienna  

 

Location:  211 4th Street / Olive Street

Built:  1940 – 1942

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Macon C Abbitt

Contractor:  Willard Finn and Allan Bethel of Jefferson City, Missouri

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story Missouri cream colored stone and concrete structure. The building is 115 feet by 80 feet. The front has a large porch with two high square pillars rising to a wide header. The entrance is recessed. Stone work is located on either side of the extended porch. This was a Work Projects Administration project. The building was renovated in 1998. The consulting engineer was S & V Consulting Inc. and the contractor was Ken Mosier Construction Inc.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Osage County

E – Gasconade County and Phelps County

S – Phelps County and Pulaski County

W – Miller County

 

 

 

1337m09

 

 

1335m09

 

 

1336m09

 

 

1338m09

 

 

1339m09

 

 

1340m09

 

 

1324m09

 

 

1325m09

Photos taken 2009