Mississippi County is named for the Mississippi River which name is derived from the Algonquin Indian word “missi” meaning “great” and “seepee” meaning “water”.
Created: February 14, 1845
Charleston 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Charleston
Location: 200 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1998– 1999
Style: Modern Federalist
Architect: Mary H Bell of William A Green & Associates Inc.
Contractor: C A Walker Construction Company Inc. of Dexter.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The west front has a portico on the first story supported by four thin columns. The second story windows are arched. There are vertical concrete dividers and trim along the corners of the building. The roof is sloped with a small octagonal cupola at the center of the roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built by James T Russell in 1852 and burned in 1891. The second courthouse was designed by Jerome B Legg and constructed by V O’Bryan and the Central Bridge Company, of St. Louis in 1900 to 1901. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on February 10, 1997.
See: The courthouse in Ballard County, Kentucky was designed by Jerome B Legg and modeled after the 1901 courthouse which burned in 1997.
S – Fulton County, Kentucky
W – New Madrid
Photos taken 2009