McDonald County is named for Alexander McDonald, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 3, 1849
Rutledge / Maryville 1849 – 1857
Pineville 1849 – present
County Courthouse – Pineville
Location: 602 Main Street / East 7th Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Hood-Rich of Springfield
Contractor: R E Smith Construction Company of Joplin
Description: The building faces west and is a one story stone and concrete structure. The building is 72 feet by 84 feet. The south section of the building extends west with narrow vertical windows and an entrance with small canopy above. The north section has wide glass doors. A wide band of metal trim follows the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Pineville
Location: Courthouse Square / Main Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Architect: Z P Cogswell
Contractor: Willis R Cox and Zachariah Smith
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white coloured brick style structure. The building is 42 feet by 48 feet. The roof is hipped with gable peaks. In 1905, the building was expanded on the east side. In 1943, the building was stuccoed and painted white.
N – Newton County
E – Barry County
S – Benton County, Arkansas
Photos taken 2009