Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Created: December 14, 1818
Monroe 1818 – 1822
Alexandria 1822 – 1829
Troy 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 201 Main Street / West College Street
Architect: Gustave Bachmann
Contractor: Edwards and Griffith
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is a “T” shape and is 75 by 80 feet. The east front has a small wood portico supported by six fluted white colored Corinthian columns with a balcony on the second story. The centre section projects slightly with a pediment at the top. The windows are arched. On the centre of the roof is an octagonal white cupola. An addition was added in the 1930’s. In 1974 a further addition was constructed at a cost of $150,000. The architect was Henze and Kuda Associates.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Alexandria in 1822 at a cost of $448.50. The second courthouse was built in 1830 by David Bailey in Troy at a cost of $1,500. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $27,500.
N – Pike County
E – Calhoun County, Illinois
Photos taken 2009