Lewis County

US States / M / Missouri / Lewis County
Lewis

Lewis County is named for Meriwether Lewis, who was an explorer and Governor of the Missouri Territory.

 

Created:  January 2, 1833

County Seat:

Monticello  1833 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Monticello  

 

Location:  101 Lafayette Street / South Washington Street

Built:  1875 – 1876

Style:  Federalist

Architect:  J T McAllister

Contractor:  George Barnes

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two red colored brick structure. The building is 75 by 50 feet and has a mansard roof with a square cupola above the central north section of the building. Decorative brick work and paired brackets enrich the cornice. Above the central north entrance is a small balcony on the second story. An addition was added to the west side.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built by J W Buckley in 1834. The second courthouse was built by William S Pemberton and James A Richardson in 1839. The third and present courthouse was built at a cost of $10,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Clark County

E – Hancock County, Illinois and Adams County, Illinois

S – Marion County and Shelby County

W – Knox County

 

 

 

0403m09

 

 

0404m09

 

 

0405m09

 

 

0406m09

 

 

0407m09

 

 

0408m09
 Photos taken 2009