Jasper County is named for William Jasper, who was a famous scout for the Continentals during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 29, 1841
Carthage 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Carthage
Location: 302 South Main Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Architect: Maximillan A Orlopp Jr. of New Orleans, Louisiana
Contractor: L W Divelbis of Olathe, Kansas
Description: The building faces north and is a three story course grey Carthage stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building is 106 feet by 133 feet. The north front has a projecting centre section with arched entrance on the first story with six arched opennings on the second story. On either side of entrance rise two round stone towers with conical roofs. On each corner of the building is a square stone tower with peaked roofs. There are stone dormers on the roof. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower rising to a conical roof with small cupola at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Levi H Jenkins in 1842 at a cost of $398.50. The second courthouse was designed by S W Walcott and built by Gabriel Johnson in 1849 to 1854 at a cost of $4,760 and was destroyed by fire in October, 1863. For the next thirty years, a remodeled jail was used. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $100,000.
Courthouse – Joplin
Location: 601 South Pearl Avenue / West 6th Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Allgeier, Martin & Associates of Joplin
Contractor: V S DiCarlo General Contractors Inc. of Kansas City.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The entrances are framed with white. The first story is dark brown colored brick and the upper stories have vertical narrow white colored dividers. The roof line is flat.
N – Barton County
S – Newton County
W – Cherokee County, Kansas
Photos taken 2009