Howard County

US States / M / Missouri / Howard County
Howard

Howard County is named for Benjamin Howard, who was the first governor of the Missouri Territory, a Congressman from Kentucky and who fought in the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Chariton County and Randolph County

E – Boone County

S – Cooper County

W – Saline County and Chariton County

 

Created:  January 23, 1816                    Map of Missouri highlighting Howard County

County Seat:

Franklin   1816 – 1823

Fayette   1823 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fayette

 

Location:  119 North Main Street / East Morrison Street

Built:  1887 – 1888

Style:  Second Empire and Italianate

Architect:  William F Schrage of Schrage and Nichols of Kansas City

Contractor:  Sam B Baker

 

Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse square in the center of Fayette. The center section on all four sides project with wide porticoes on the first story with four columns and three arched windows on the second story. Above are wide pediments. Other windows are arched with limestone trim. On each corner is a square red colored brick tower with mansard roof. The foundation is course stone. On the center of the building is a high white colored wood cupola with clock. The building houses the County Circuit Court. The superintendent was James Simpson. The building was renovated in 1968 to 1970. The architect was Carroll Hutchens of Frangkiser & Hutchens and the contractor was Don L Bron. A fire gutted the building on December 31, 1975 and the exterior walls were retained.

 

Note:  The county is nicknamed the “Mother of Counties” as from its original territory when founded 36 other counties or parts of counties in Missouri along with 10 Iowa counties or parts of counties were also part of Howard County.

 

See:  The 14th Judicial District covers Howard and Randolph County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1816 and Franklin was selected as the county seat. In 1823, the county seat was moved to Fayette. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built by J W Garner and Stephen Trigg in 1824 to 18267. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Joseph Megraw in 1857 at a cost of $25,000. Wings were added sometime before 1883. Fire destroyed the building on December 1, 1886. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1887 to 1888 at a cost of $32,942. The courthouse was remodeled in 1968 to 1970 at a cost of $375,000.

 

 

0902m09

County Courthouse – Fayette

 

 

0903m09

 

 

0904m09

 

 

0906m09

 

 

0907m09

 

 

0908m09

 

 

0909m09

 

 

0900m09

 

 

0901m09

Photos taken 2009