Harrison County is named for Albert G Harrison, who was a Congressman from the State of Missouri.
Created: February 14, 1854
Bethany 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Bethany
Location: 1515 Main Street / North 15th Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Keene and Simpson of Kansas City and William L Perkins of Chariton, Iowa
Contractor: Thomas H Dawson of Kansas City
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is 87 by 83 feet with a high center section and lower east and west wings. There are decorative panels between the first and second story windows. The roof line is flat. The building is a Work Project Administration.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by John S Allen and built by Elkana Grover in 1845. The second courthouse was built in 1857 by Asbury Allen and Allen S Meek for $9,732. In 1874, the next courthouse was designed by W Angelo Powell of St. Joseph and built by Benton Edwards and Isaac Hayes of Macon. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $124,000.
S – Daviess County
Photos taken 2009