Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American revolutionary War.
Created: January 2, 1833
Springfield 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Springfield
Location: 940 Boonville Avenue / Central Street
Built: 1910 – 1915
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: A N Torbitt of Miller, Opel and Torbitt of Jefferson City
Contractor: A E Gibson Construction Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma and later Hiram Lloyd Company of St, Louis
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Greene County Phoenix stone structure. The building is 100 feet by 200 feet. The south front has three arched entrances on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. The center section projects from the main building.
Note: The court met first in the home of John P Campbell. The first courthouse was designed by Sidney Ingram, superintendent and was built in 1836 at a cost of $3,250. The building burned on October 28, 1861. The second courthouse was designed and built by Josiah Leedy, one of three commissioners in 1861 at a cost of $36,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $200,000.
County Judicial Courts – Springfield
Location: 1010 North Boonville Avenue / East Scott Street
Built: 1994 – 1995
Architect: Warren & Goodwin Inc.
Contractor: Dewitt and Associates Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story gray colored stone, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a semi circular section in the center with four columns on the first story with the glass entrance behind. Five high columns support the third and fourth stories. Horizontal glass windows run across the upper part of the building. The building is named as the Judicial Courts Facility.On the south side is the County Justice Center.
County Justice Center – Springfield
Location: 1000 North Boonville Avenue / East Scott Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: BKL Incorporated and HBR Architecture
Contractor: Flintco, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story precast concrete structure. The building is located on the north side of the old courthouse and on the south side of the Judicial Courts Facility. The west front has a projecting center section with recessed porch on the first story with central entrance. There are no windows except on the west side. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Sheriff’s Office and the County Jail.
E – Webster County
S – Christian County
Photos taken 2009