Gasconade County

US States / M / Missouri / Gasconade County
Gasconade

Gasconade County is named for the Gasconade River which river derives its name from the French word “gascon” meaning “braggart” and could be an old                  satirical name describing those who boast about their adventures upon return to St. Louis.

 

Created:  November 25, 1820 

County Seat:

Gasconade City  1821 – 1825

Bartonville           1825 – 1832

Mount Sterling     1832 – 1842

Hermann             1842 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Hermann

 

Location:  119 East 1st Street / Market Street

Built:  1897 – 1898

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  J B Legg of St. Louis and A W Elsner of Jefferson City

Contractor:  H J Wallau.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone  structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in  the center of the city. The south front has a portico with three arches on the first story and eight thin columns on the second story with pediment above. The building is 143 by 88 feet and sits atop a hill along the Missouri River. The base of the building is course stone. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with white roof.

 

Note:  The first courthouse located at Gasconade City was built by Joshua Cox in 1830 at a cost of $300, and was moved to Mount Sterling in 1832. The second courthouse was built in Hermann in 1842 at a cost of $3,000.  The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $41,500.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Montgomery County and Warren County

E – Franklin County

S – Crawford County and Phelps County

W – Maries County and Osage County

 

 

 

0803m09

County Courthouse

 

 

0805m09

 

 

0806m09

 

 

0807m09

 

 

0810m09

 

 

0811m09

 

 

0812m09

 

 

0813m09

 

 

0808m09

 

 

0809m09

 

 

0814m09

Photos taken 2009