Christian County is named for William Christian, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1743 to 1786.
Created: March 5, 1859
Ozark 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Ozark
Location: 100 West Church Street / North 2nd Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Henry H Hohenschild
Contractor: H J Hanson of Sarcoxie
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The west front has a slightly projecting center section with stone framed entrance on the first story and two columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Above is a small balustrade. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1860 and was destroyed by fire on August 20, 1865. The second courthouse was built by William Lauring in 1866 under the supervision of James W Robertson at a cost of $7,775.The cost of construction of the present courthouse was approximately $90,000.
County Justice Center – Ozark
Location: 110 West Elm Street / North 2nd Street
Built: 2001 – 2001
Architect: Bates and Associates
Contractor: R E Small Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has a semi-circular centre section with four columns on the first story and recessed entrance. The windows are long and vertical. The roof line is flat.
E – Douglas County
Photos taken 2009