Cedar County is named for the abundance of cedar trees In the region.
Created: February 14, 1845
Crows Mill 1845 – 1846
Stockton 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Stockton
Location: 113 South Street / Jackson Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: James D Marshall and M Dwight Brown of Kansas City
Contractor: W F Edgell and Son of Leavenworth
Description: The building faces east and is a two story monolithic poured concrete structure. The east front has a projecting centre section with three vertical openings for the center entrance and windows. There are decorative panels between the windows. The roof line is flat. This was a Works Projects Administration. The architect was and the contractor was Hare and Hare, landscape consultants, assisted with the plan.
Note: The first courthouse was a house purchased from Samuel Moore in 1847. The second courthouse was built by Dozier C Gill, Isaac Ragan and A M Long in 1852 at a cost of $5,500. Benjamin H Cravens was the superintendent. M C White was hired to complete the building. The third courthouse was built in 1867 under the supervision of B Davis. In 1868, James A Cogle supervised repairs to the building. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $112,600.
N – St. Clair County
E – Polk County
S – Dade County
Photos taken 2009