Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: January 29, 1827
Greenville 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 900 Washington Avenue / North Harvey Street
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: McDonald Brothers
Contractor: John F Barnes
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The building faces southwest and was completed in 1891. The southwest front has a large square central tower with arched windows and rising to narrow vertical windows on the third story with castle-like battlements around the top. On the fourth story is an octagonal section with flat roof. To the east of the tower is a one story porch with arched center and two flanking arches. The main entrance is recessed within the porch area. Above, the building rises to a peak at the third story. On the west and east corners are low square towers with castle-like battlements around the top. The roof is hipped. The masonry was completed by Al Thomas. In 1930, the building was rebuilt and restored. The architect was John Manly Spain and the contractor was Lockard & Vaughan. In 1950 to 1952, the northeast Art Deco style addition was constructed. The architect was Spain & Biggers with Harold Kaplan as associate architect, and the contractor was G E Bass & Company.
N – Bolivar County
W – Chicot County, Arkansas
Photos taken 2012