Tunica County is named for the Native American tribe and the word means “littler people”.
Created: February 9, 1836
Commerce 1836 – 1847
Austin 1847 – 1888
Tunica 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Tunica
Location: 1300 School Street / Court Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank P Gates Company
Contractor: Blair, Algernon Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on lasndscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a projecting center section with central entrance on the first story, which is trimmed with stone and has two stone piasters rising to a horizontal band below the roof line which has a wide cornice with clock above. On the roof are small dormers. The building has a mansard roof. Behind the building on the east side is the old red colored brick Jail.
County Administration – Tunica
Location: 1058 South Court Street / School Street
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: Wenzel & Associates of Tunica
Contractor: C & M Builders, Inc. of Southaven
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete style structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The north front has a large porch supported by columns and rising above the roof line. The eave around the building is fairly wide. The roof line is flat.
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2012