Tishomingo County is named for the Native American word meaning “warrior chief”.
Created: February 9, 1836
Jacinto ( Alcorn County ) 1836 1870
Iuka 1870 – present
Old County Courthouse – Iuka
Location: 201 Quitman Street / South Fulton Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Lundie Monroe Weathers
Contractor: J T Weaver
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east wing extends south from the main building. The arched entrance is at the east side of the north wing. The upper story windows are long and narrow, The first story windows are arched. The roof is sloped.
See: From 1836 to 1870, Jacinto located in what is now Alcorn County served as the county seat until it moved to Iuka in 1870 and new county boundaries were created.
County Courthouse – Iuka
Location: 1008 Battleground Drive / Maria Lane
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Malvaney & Associates of Jackson
Contractor: The Whitaker Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white-buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the center of the city. The east front has a central entrance on the second story. Two pillars rise to the roof with a glass paneled entrance behind. Further pillars run along the east front. Above the entrance is a low section with flat roof. The building descends west down a slope with a rear entrance to the first story. The courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The building was renovated in 1977 to 1978. The architect was Bouchillon and Harris of Jackson and the contractor was S & S Construction Company, Inc. of Corinth.
N – Hardin County, Tennessee
S – Itawamba County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2018