Tate County

US States / M / Mississippi / Tate County
0588M12

Tate County is named for Thomas Simpson Tate, who was a pioneer settler in the area.

 

Created:  April 15, 1873

County Seat: 

Senatobia  1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Senatobia 

 

Location:  201 South Ward Street / Court Street

Built:  1875 – 1876

Style:  Italian Gothic

Architect:  James Bartholomew Cook

Contractor:  John ( Jack )  Hortense Cocke

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a central tower with arched entrance on the first story. Above is an arched window on the second story with three arched openings on the third story and with steep green colored roof. The building has arched windows and a gabled roof. The courtroom on the second story has a decorative carved wood ceiling. The building was enlarged in 1904. The Chancery vault was built in 1956. On the south side is a low one story annex built in 1975. The architect was Brewer, Godbold & Associates Ltd. and the contractor was Wright Way Construction Inc. The building was restored and the west addition was constructed in 1999 to 2000. The addition contains a courtroom on the second story. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects of Europa and the contractor was Panola Construction Company, Inc.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the first and only courthouse. Thee brick for the courthouse were made locally by William Quinn and Alan Tooms. The woodwork was done by Mr. Creagor, a mechanic from Memphis, Tennessee. The contract to construct the courthouse was $19,800.

 

County Office Building – Senatobia 

 

772t18

 

Location:  201 South Ward Street / Court Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Terence O Young of Senatobia

Contractor:  Brooks Varner Construction Company of Hernando

 

Description:  The building faces

Built in 1977, the building is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The The building is located on the west side of the courthouse in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building is named as the Leroy Crockett Building. The roof line if flat.

 

Courthouses: 

N – DeSoto County

E – Marshall County

S – Lafayette County and Panola County

W – Tunica County

 

 

 

743t18

County Courthouse

 

 

0582m12

 

 

0583m12

 

 

0584m12

 

 

0585m12

 

 

762t18

 

 

763t18

 

 

753t18

 

 

754t18

 

 

755t18

 

 

756t18

 

 

761t18

 

 

758t18

 

 

759t18

 

 

764t18

 

 

765t18

 

 

766t18

 

 

0594m12

 

 

770t18

Addition 1975

 

 

0595m12

 

 

751t18

Addition 1999 

 

 

750t18

 

 

769t18

 

 

773t18

County Office Building

 

 

774t18

Photos taken 2012