Tallahatchie County – Charleston is named for Native American word meaning “rock river”.
Created: December 23, 1833
Charleston 1833 – present ( First Judicial District )
Sumner 1902 – present ( Second Judicial District )
* Tallahatchie County has two county seats
County Courthouse – Charleston
Location: 1 Court Square / Main Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Style: Modern Classical Revival
Architect: Brewer, Godbold & Associates, Ltd.
Contractor: White Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico with four white columns rising to a pediment with clock. The recessed central entrance is arched. There is a similar portico on the east side. The windows have white shutters. The roof line is sloped with a large railed platform at the top. The building houses the court for the First Judicial District.
Note: On the courthouse grounds is the cornerstone of the courthouse constructed in 1900. The architect was W Chamberlain & Company and the contractor was J J Glenfield Construction Company.
County Courthouse – Sumner
Location: SE – North Court Street / West Court Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: William Sharkey Hull of Jackson
Contractor: F B Hull Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The north front has a projecting center section with large arch and recessed entrance on the first story. On the second story are four arched windows with the building rising to a peak at the roof line. On the northwest corner is a four story square brick tower with openings at the third story and clock at the fourth story with steep roof at the top. On the northeast corner is a two story square tower with arched windows and steep roof. There are similar tower on the southeast and southwest corners. The roof is hipped. The building houses the court for the Second Judicial District. In 1973, the building was renovated. The architect was John Eldridge Decell, III.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1903 for $22,500. The architect was William Sharkey Hull of Jackson and the contractor was F B Hull and W S Hull. During construction, Sam Ewing was the superintendent of construction. After a fire in September 1908 destroyed the courthouse, the same architect and contractor rebuilt the courthouse. The building contract was $13,500.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Tallahatchie County Second District Courthouse
Photos taken 2012