Stone County is named for John Marshall Stone, who was a politician from Mississippi and who was the Governor from 1876 to 1882 and from 1890 to 1896.
Created: April 3, 1916
Wiggins 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Wiggins
Location: 231 South 3rd Street / East Cavers Avenue
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Xavier A Kramer of Magnolia
Contractor: Standard Construction Company of Meridian
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has three vertical piasters with recessed entrance in the center of the first story. The north and south wings are recessed with one story additions. The red colored roof is sloped. In 1970, the interior was remodeled. The architect was William Ward Easley, Jr. and the contractor was W F Modley Inc. The building was remodeled in 2003. The architect was Robert Parker Adams Architects and the contractor was Dan Hensarling Inc.
S – Harrison County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017