Simpson County is named for Josiah Simpson, who was a judge during the Mississippi Territory period.
Created: January 24, 1824
Mendenhall 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Mendenhall
Location: 100 West Court Street / Ash Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Andrew J Bryan
Contractor: M W Land
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large portico with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. The east and west ends of the building are rounded. A wide band runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with clock at the top. On the east and west are rounded domes on the roof. The building was renovated in 1988. The architect was Chemmer and Clark and the contractor was Leon C Miles Inc. The building was renovated in 2007. The architect was Barrance Architectural PLLC and Belinda Stewart Architects and the contractor was Mayrant & Associates, LLC.
See: The architect, Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish; in Mississippi in Attala County; and in Texas in Rains County.
County Chancery Court – Mendenhall
Location: 111 West Pine Street / North West Street
Built: 1970 – 1971
Architect: Barlow & Plunkett of Jackson
Contractor: Campbell Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1971. The south front has a recessed section on the east half of the first story. The second story has vertical dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat.
N – Rankin County
E – Smith County
W – Copiah County
Photos taken 2012