Sharkey County is named for W L Sharkey, who was the Provisional Governor of the State of Mississippi.
Created: March 29, 1876
Rolling Fork 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Rolling Fork
Location: 400 Locust Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Sharkey Hull of Jackson
Contractor: F B Hull and W S Hull
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light brown colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a large portico with three stone framed arches on the first story and four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a low octagonal drum with red colored tile roof. The building has a course stone foundation and a red colored tile roof. The north and south wings extend from the main building. The north and south sides are curved with a square section on the east side with two corner towers and a center dormer on the hipped roof. In 1965, additions were constructed on the north and south sides which are lower in height. The architect was Clarence Raymond Birchett and the contractor was B C Rogers Construction Company. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was Robert Parker Adams.
S – Issaquena County
Photos taken 2012