Scott County

US States / M / Mississippi / Scott County
1646M12

Scott County is named for Abram Scott, who was the seventh Governor of the State of Mississippi.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Madison County and Leake County

E – Newton County

S – Smith County

W – Rankin County

 

Created:  December 23, 1833                                                    Map of Mississippi highlighting Scott County

County Seat: 

Berryville  1833 – 1836

Hillsboro   1836 – 1865

Forest       1865 – present

 

County Courthouse – Forest

 

Location:  100 East First Street / West Main Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Malvaney & Associates

Contractor:  W S Corley & Sons

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Forest. The south front has a central portico with four pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line.  The recessed entrance is glass. There is a wing on the west which extends south. On the east side is a wing which also extends south with a further extension extending south. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtrooms are located on the first story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 8th Judicial District, County Chancery Court, County Youth Court and County Justice Court. The building was remodeled in 1996 to 1997. On the north side is the old courthouse and jail built in 1938, which forms part of the present building. The architect was Krouse & Brasfield and the contractor was Currie & Corley.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Leake County, Neshoba County and Newton County.

 

History :  The county was created in 1833 and Berryville was selected as the county seat in 1836. The first courthouse was a wood frame structure built in Berryville in 1836. The county seat was moved the same year to Hillsboro and the courthouse was moved to Hillsboro. The courthouse was later burned to the ground during the Civil War. In 1865 the county seat was moved to Forest and the second courthouse, a brick structure was built. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by John W Hood & Company in 1900. The courthouse was torn down and replaced by the fourth courthouse designed by Noah W Overstreet and constructed in 1924. This courthouse was remodeled in 1938 and incorporated into the fifth and present courthouse constructed in 1955 to 1956 and further remodeled in 1996 to 1997.

 

 

1644m12

County Courthouse – Forest

 

 

1645m12

 

 

1647m12

 

 

1648m12

 

 

1649m12

 

 

1650m12

 

 

1835t17

 

 

1836t17

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

1837t17

 

 

1838t17

 

 

1840t17

County Circuit Court small courtroom

 

 

1839t17

 

 

1846t17

 

 

1651m12

 

 

1845t17

 

 

1841t17

Picture 1900 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2012 and 2017