Location: 450 High Street / West Street
Built: 2002 – 2004
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Cooke Douglas Park Lemons Ltd./ Dale Partners Architects / Eley Associates - Architects
Contractor: Roy Anderson Corporation
Description: The buildinng faces south and is a four story concrete structure. The south front has a rised platforn with portico on the second story. The portico has five columns rising to a pediment at the third story. Under the portico, on the second story are three rectangular entrances. Behind the portico, the building rises to form a large pediment, The east side has a porch on the second and third stories with two columns. The first story has three rectangular openings for the main entrances. Above the third story is a projecting cornice. The building is named the “Carrol Gartin Justice Building” and houses the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals. The Supreme Court Chamber is located on the fourth story on the north side and the Court of Appeals Chamber is located on the third story on the north side. In 2007, the building was renovated. The architect was Cooke Douglas Park Lemons Ltd./ Dale Partners Architects / Eley Associates - Architects and the contractor was Evan Johnson & Sons.
Note: The original building was constructed in 1973 on the same site. The Supreme Court was formerly located in the State Capitol in the east wing on the second floor. The old Court of Appeals Building built in 1952 is located on the southeast corner of State Street and George Street.
See: The Supreme Court and Court of Appeals is located in Hinds County.
Court of Appeals Chamber
Supreme Court Chamber
Old Supreme Court Building ( demolished )
Old Court of Appeals Building
Photos taken 2001 and 2012