Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was the United States Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
Created: February 9, 1836
Holly Springs 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Holly Springs
Location: 158 East College Avenue / North Central Street
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Spires Boling and Fletcher Sloan of Willis, Sloan and Trigg
Contractor: Spiers Boling
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick structure. The north front has a central portico with three arches on the first story and four white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. There is a similar portico on the south side. The east and west ends of the building, project from the main building. On the center of the roof is a high white wood cupola with clock and red colored roof at the top. The east and west wings were added in 1925 to 1926. The architect was Noah Webster Overstreet.
Note: The courthouse is similar to the Lafayette County courthouse. Prolonged skirmishes from 1862 to 1864 during the Civil War caused the burning and destruction of all buildings on the east side of the square, and considerable damage on the north and west sides, culminating in the incineration of the courthouse constructed in 1837 by Union soldiers in 1864.
S – Lafayette County
Photos taken 2012