Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Created: January 29, 1828
Beattie’s Bluff 1828 – 1829
Livingston 1829 – 1830
Madisonville 1830 – 1833
Canton 1833 – present
Old County Courthouse – Canton
Location: Courthouse Square / Liberty Street
Built: 1854 – 1858
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Joseph Willis
Contractor: Allan Patrick
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The building is located on the spacious grounds of the Courthouse Square. The west and east sides have porticos with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are vertical piasters dividing the windows. A wide horizontal band runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with black colored dome roof with small cupola at the top. The building houses some government offices. The building was remodeled in 1908. The contractor was Harry C Hull. In 1925, the building was renovated. The architect was Claude H Lindsley and the contractor was Lundberg & Hayes. There were alterations and additions in 1940. The architect was Hull & Drummond. Interior renovations were done in 1968 to 1969. The architect was John Eldridge Decell III. Restoration was done in 1994 to 1996. The architect was Craig, Singleton & Holloman and the contractor was Mid-South Construction Company.
County Courthouse – Canton
Location: 128 West North Street / North Liberty Street
Built: 1994 – 1995
Architect: Craig & Singleton
Contractor: Mid-State Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the old courthouse. The south front has a large porch with four white colored columns. Behind the columns is a curved glass wall with central entrance on the first story. On the roof is a small low conical shaped cupola. There are lower east and west wings. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Canton
Location: 125 West North Street / North Union Street
Built: 2006 – 2008
Architect: JH&H Architects of Brandon
Contractor: Frazier Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is set back from the street line. The east side has an open porch rising to the roof line with recessed entrance. At the center of the north front is a curved section with large white colored pediment rising above the flat roof line.
County Justice Court – Canton
Location: 2961 South Liberty Street / Corrections Street
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: Dean & Dean Associates / Architects
Contractor: Harrell Construction Group
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped ground. The southeast front has a one story porch with stone pillars. The entrance is recessed. The roof is sloped.
S – Hinds County
W – Yazoo County
Photos taken 2012 and 2017