Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 ) and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Created: April 7, 1870
Brookhaven 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Brookhaven
Location: 308 South 2nd Street / Chickasaw Street
Architect: Hartz & Earls and William Lack
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a central entrance with a large glass wall on the second story and vertical walls on either side. Vertical concrete pillars are along the front. The roof line is flat. The Lincoln County / Brookhaven Government Complex houses the County Court, County government and City government. In 1980 to 1981, the building was expanded to house the county and city governments. The architect was The Design Collective and the contractor was Wise Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Andrew Bryan & Company and constructed by Alfred E Moreton in 1893. An addition was designed by Eugene McCormick in 1908.
N – Copiah County
E – Lawrence County
Photos taken 2011