Leake County is named for Walter Leake, who was the third Governor of the State of Mississippi.
Created: December 23, 1833
Carthage 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Carthage
Location: 212 West Main Street / Pearl Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Art Deco and Neo-Classical
Architect: E L Malvaney of Jackson
Contractor: J R Flint Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a framed central entrance. Vertical pilasters rise to a wide band below the roof line. Above the entrance are large windows on the second and third stories. On the north side, the building has vertical white pilasters between the large windows. The roof line is flat. In 1976, the building was renovated. The architect was Charles P McMullan & Associates of Jackson and the contractor was W G Yates & Sons Construction Company, Inc. of Philadelphia.
N – Attala County
E – Neshoba County
S – Scott County
Photos taken 2012 and 2017