Lafayette County is named for Marie Joseph Paul Lafayette, who was a French general who fought in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1757 to 1834.
Created: February 9, 1836
Oxford 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Oxford
Location: Courthouse Square / Jackson Avenue
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Greek Revival and Italianate
Architect: Spires Boling of Willis, Sloan and Trigg
Contractor: Fletcher Sloan
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored stuccoed masonry structure. The building sits on the Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The south front has a central portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. The north side has a similar portico. On the center of the roof is a high square white cupola with clock at the top. In 1952 to 1953, the east and west bays were added. The architect was Barton A England, Jr. The building was renovated in 1981. The architect was Godfrey Bassett Maisel and Tuminello and the contractor was Grantham Construction Company Inc. The building was further renovated in 2008. The architect was Howorth & Associates Architects and the contractor was Panola Construction Company.
Note: In 1864, the original courthouse was burned by Union troops under the command of General A J “Whiskey” Smith. Following the Civil War the present courthouse was built and completed in January 1872. The Marshall County courthouse is a similar style as the architect and contractor were the same.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Lafayette County Courthouse
County Chancery Building – Oxford
Location: 300 North Lamar Boulevard / Monroe Avenue
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel Architects
Contractor: ANCO Construction, Inc. of Corinth
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the north of the courthouse. The west front has a central portico with four columns rising to the roof line. A long two story porch extends along the west side. The roof is hipped.
See: The architect, Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel Architects, also designed the Justice Center in Lee County.
W – Panola County
County Chancery Building
Photos taken 2012 and 2017