Jasper County

US States / M / Mississippi / Jasper County
1575M12

Jasper County is named for William Jasper, who was a Sergeant in the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Newton County

E – Clarke County

S – Wayne County and Jones County

W – Smith County

 

Created:  December 23, 1833                                                    Map of Mississippi highlighting Jasper County

County Seat: 

Pauling          1833 – 1905

Paulding        1905 – present   (First Judicial District – Eastern)

Bay Springs  1905 – present   (Second Judicial District – Western)

* Jasper County has two county seats

 

County Courthouse – Bay Springs 

 

Location:  27 8th Avenue West / 6th Street

Built:  1973 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Charles P McMullan & Associates of Jackson

Contractor:  James Reeves Contractor, Inc

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the south side of the center of Bay Springs.  The north front of the rectangular shaped building has a central entrance which projects from the main building with an extended overhang supported by four concrete pillars. Vertical concrete dividers are between the vertical windows. The roof line is flat and overhangs the building. The courtroom is located in the center of the building. The building houses the 2nd District – County Circuit Court of the 13th Judicial District, County Chancery Court, County Youth Court and County Justice Court. 

 

County Courthouse – Paulding

 

1587m12

 

Location:  1782 Highway 503 / County Road 16

Built:  1971 – 1972

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Charles L Proper and Associates

Contractor:  Dan R Hall

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Paulding. The building forms a “T” shape with a wing extending northwest. The southeast front has a central entrance with a large overhanging canopy supported by two brick pillars. There are no windows. The flat roof overhangs the building and along the center, the roof is sloped. The courtroom is located on the northwest side of the building. The building houses the 1st District -County Circuit Court of the 13th Judicial District, County Chancery Court and County Justice Court.

 

See:  The 13th Judicial District includes Covington CountySimpson County and Smith County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1833 and Pauling was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1837 with local materials including clay which was dug up and baked. The courthouse was built using slave labor and burned in 1932. In 1905, Bay Springs became the county seat of the Western District and Pauling became the county seat of the Eastern District.  The second courthouse was built in Bay Springs in 1905 and destroyed by fire in 1975. The third courthouse was one story structure built in Pauling in 1933. The third and present courthouse in Pauling was constructed in 1971 to 1972. The fourth and present courthouse in Bay Springs was constructed in 1973 to 1974.

 

 

1573m12

County Courthouse – Bay Springs

 

 

1576m12

 

 

1577m12

 

 

1580m12

 

 

1864t17

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

1866t17

 

 

1867t17

 

 

1563m12_1

 

 

1583m12

 

 

1590m12

County Courthouse – Paulding

 

 

1591m12

 

 

1589m12

 

 

1588m12

 

 

1593m12

 

 

1592m12

 

 

1594m12

Photos taken 2012 and 2017