Itawamba County is named for Itawamba, who was Native American Chief.
Created: February 9, 1836
Fulton 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Fulton
Location: 201 West Main Street / South Cummings Street
Built: 1852 – 1854
Architect: J J Blythe
Contractor: J J Blythe
Description: The building faces north and is a two story flagstone, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a central entrance with flagstone on the first story and stone cladding above. On the north side, there is a one story wing with entrance. There are few windows and parts of the orginal 1852 building can be seen. The roof line is flat. In 1952, the building was remodeled and enlarged into an Art Deco style structure around 1937 to 1938. Funding was provided by the Works Project Admiinistration,. In 1970 to 1971, the exterior of the building was substantially changed to its present style. The architect was A J Staub III and Jim W Johnson and the contractor was F L Crane & Sons. The building was renovated in 1994. The architect was Staub, Robison & Williams of Tupelo and the contractor was JTW Construction Company of Pontotoc.
Note: The designer and builder of the original courthouse in 1852 to 1854, J J Blythe, also built a similar style but smaller courthouse in Jacinto, which is situate in Alcorn County.
This photo shows the courthouse in 1937 during remodeling when the building was a rectangular brick structure ( photo courtesy of Bob Frank of Fulton )
This photo shows the courthouse in 1949 after the building was remodeled into an Art Deco style structure ( photo courtesy of Bob Frank of Fulton )
S – Monroe County
W – Lee County
Photos taken 2012