Harrison County is named for William H Harrison, who was the ninth President of the United States of America.
Created: February 5, 1841
Biloxi 1841 – present
Gulfport 1841 – present
* Harrison County has two county seats
County Courthouse – Gulfport
Location: 1801 23rd Avenue / 18th Street
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: Proffer, Teague, Ashton & Osswald
Contractor: Wright Associates Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete structure. The first story is recessed with vertical pillars dividing horizontal windows. The entrance is in the center area. Above is tan colored siding with an overhanging roof with wide tan colored edge. The roof line is flat. The building houses the court for the First Judicial District.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1833 and the second courthouse was built in 1883 in Mississippi City. The third courthouse was designed by Andrew J Bryan & Company and constructed by W T Lewman & Company in Gulfport in 1903. The building was destroyed by fire in 1916.
County Justice Court – Gulfport
Location: 1709 24th Avenue / 18th Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Eley Guild Hardy Architects
Contractor: Trademark Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located along the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a slightly projecting center section which rises above the roof line and has two red colored brick pillars rising to a header above the second story and with recessed entrance on the first story. The north and south corners has small square towers with framed entrances on the first story. The windows are vertical and the roof is flat.
See: The Second Judicial District Courthouse is located in Biloxi.
N – Stone County
E – Jackson County
S – Gulf of Mexico and Saint Bernard Parish, Louisiana
W – Hancock County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017