Forrest County is named for Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was a lieutenant in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War.
Created: April 19, 1906
Hattiesburg 1908 – present
County Courthouse – Hattiesburg
Location: 630 North Main Street / Eaton Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Architect: William S Hull of Jackson
Contractor: F B Hull
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large porch with six high columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The entrances are arched. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1922. The architect was Emmett J Hull and the contractor was Massengale & McIntosh.
County Chancery Courthouse – Hattiesburg
Location: 641 North Main Street / Batson Street
Built: 1985 – 1986
Architect: Landry & Landry
Contractor: Newell C Sullivan
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Vertical dividers are intersected by the horizontal bands between the first and second stories and the roof line. The roof line is flat.
E – Perry County
S – Stone County
W – Lamar County
County Chancery Court Courthouse
Photos taken 2011 and 2017