DeSoto County is named for Hernando de Soto, who was a Spanish explorer who discovered and named the Mississippi River.
Created: February 9, 1836
Hernando 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Hernando
Location: 2535 Old Highway 51 / West Losher Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Robert William Naef
Contractor: M T Reed Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The north and south wings project from the main building and have peaked roofs. On the center of the building is a square white colored cupola with small dome at the top. The roof is hipped. The interior rotunda has murals. The courtroom is located on the west side of the rotunda on the second story. During construction, Fred B Johnston was the supervisor. An addition was constructed in 1985. The architect was Brewer Godbold Hansen and Dickson and the contractor was Sharp Construction Company, Inc.
Note: The seven murals in the courthouse depict scenes of DeSoto and other early explorers of the area and were painted for the historic Gayoso Hotel in Memphis. They were donated to the county in 1952 by the Goldsmiths department store chain.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Felix LaBauve and Jones & Baldwin and constructed in 1872. The building was destroyed by fire in 1940.
County Administration – Hernando
Location: 365 West Losher Street / Caffey Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: Allen & Hoshall Ltd.
Contractor: Panola Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the southwest side of the courthouse in the center of the city. The northeast corner has a large round tower with round windows on the third story, flat roof and interior rotunda. In front of the building is a small plaza with fountain. The building has an north wing and an east wing which join at the round tower. The roof line is flat.
N – Shelby County, Tennessee
E – Marshall County
S – Tate County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018