Covington County is named for Leonard Wailes Covington, who was a United States Army Brigadier General and a member of the United States House of Representatives.
Created: February 5, 1819
Collins 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Collins
Location: 101 East Dogwood Avenue / Main Street
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William S Hull of Jackson
Contractor: J B Carr & Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The northeast front has a projecting central porch with three arches and recessed entrance on the first story and four columns rising to a roof at the roof line. There are three circular windows above the second story windows. Stone is used for the window trim. A horizontal belt runs below the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1982. The architect was William Ward Easley, Jr. and the contractor was Sullivan Enterprises Inc. Restoration was completed in 2005. The architect was McCleskey Associates and the contractor was B W Sullivan Building Contractors, Inc.
County Chancery Building – Collins
Location: 101 East Elm Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: James C Lee of Jackson
Contractor: Maple Construction Company, Inc. of Hattiesburg
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a central porch with three arches and a recessed entrance, The windows are arched and framed. A narrow horizontal belt runs along the top of the windows, and a wide belt runs along the flat roof line. The building is located south of the courthouse.
E – Jones County
Photos taken 2012