Copiah County is named for the Native American word meaning “panther”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Hinds County
E – Simpson County
S – Lawrence County and Lincoln County
W – Jefferson County and Claiborne County
Created: January 23, 1823
Hazlehurst 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Hazlehurst
Location: 121 West Frost Street / South Extension Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: James Riely Gordon
Contractor: G T Hallas & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front has four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On either side of the center section are semi-circular porticos with two columns an arched entrance. On the center of the roof is a wide octagonal dome with flat roof. The interior has a rotunda under the dome. The building was altered in 1953 when a three story addition was constructed on the west side. The architect was N W Overstreet & Associates and the contractor was Dye & Mullings, Inc. The building was renovated in 1974. The architect was James C Lee & Associates of Jackson and the contractor was Huntington Lumber & Supply Company. Inc. of Hazlehurst. The building was renovated in 2008. The architect was Carl Freiler Nobles and the contractor was Huntington Lumber & Supply Company Inc. of Hazlehurst.
County Chancery Court Courthouse – Hazlehurst
Location: 122 South Lowe Street / Downing Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: Carl Freler Nobles Architects
Contractor: Ritter Electric, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story white colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center Hazelhurst on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a projecting section with narrow vertical window, At the center is the entrance. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – Hazelhurst
County Chancery Court Courthouse – Hazelhurst
Photos taken 2011 and 2019