Claiborne County is named for William C C Claiborne, who was the first governor of Louisiana from 1812 to 1816.
Created: January 27, 1802
Port Gibson 1802 – present
County Courthouse – Port Gibson
Location: 410 Market Street / Orange Street
Built: 1845 – 1846
Style: Greek Revival and Antebellum
Architect: Armstrong & Thomson
Contractor: Mr. Posey
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and stone structure. The east front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story and rising to a pediment at the roof line. The north and south wings are lower in height. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with black roof. The building was rebuilt in 1903. The architect was Andrew J Bryan & Company and contractor was M T Lewman & Company. The building was renovated in 1951. The architect was Spain & Biggers and contractor was Jackson Engineering Company. The building was restored in 1965. The architect was Cooke-Douglas- Farr and contractor was B C Rogers Construction. The building was restored in 1975. The architect was Birchette & Montgomery and the contractor was Mid Dtate Construction Company Inc. In 1987, the building was remodeled. The architect was S J Tuminello & Associates and the contractor was Capitol Construction.
N – Warren County
S – Jefferson County
W – Tensas Parish, Louisiana
Photos taken 2011