Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was the seventh Vice President of the United States of America.
Created: March 8, 1852
Pittsboro 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Pittsboro
Location: 103 West Main Street / Murphree Street
Built: 2011 – 2012
Architect: Pryor & Morrow of Tupelo
Contractor: Sanderson Construction Company Inc. of Amory
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. The lower part of the building is red colored brick and the upper part is concrete. The north front of the building has a two story tower on the northeast corner with open porch on the first story. The center section has two projecting sections with glass walls and between then them are recessed sections with a canopy. The building descends west down a slope with the first story visable on the west side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The old courthouse was demolished in 2011 to make way for the new courthouse. Built in 1938 to 1939, the building was a two story white colored wood structure which faced north.It was a Works Project Administration project.
N – Lafayette County
S – Webster County
Photos taken 2012