Benton County is named for Samuel Benton, who was a general in the Confederate Army.
Created: July 21, 1870
Ashland 1870 – present
Old County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 61 Main Street / Ripley Avenue
Built: 1872 – 1873
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: George Wilson Patrick Sr. of Booneville
Contractor: Patrick & Price
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The east front has a high central portico with two tall columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony above the first story entrance, There is a similar portico on the west side. The center section of the building projects slightly. On the center of the roof is an octagonal wood cupola with a dome at the top. The roof is hipped. Additions were added in 1948 and 1970. The building now houses the Benton County Historical Society.
County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 190 Ripley Avenue / Boundary Drive
Description: The building faces north and is a one story white-yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the west edge of the center of the city and was formerly the ABC Shirt and Dress factory. The north front has the main entrance on the east end where the building projects and is lower in height than the main building. A curved canopy runs along the roof line and continued west along the main part of the building. The building has small windows and a flat roof, and was converted into the courthouse in 2002. On the west side is the large Circuit Cout courtroom and on the south side is the Justice Court courtroom. The construction supervisor was Thomas Daniel.
N – Hardeman County, Tennessee
E – Tippah County
S – Union County
W – Marshall County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2018