Amite County

US States / M / Mississippi / Amite County
Amite

Amite County is named for the Amite River which flows through the county and whose name means “friendly”.

 

Created:  February 24, 1809

County Seat: 

Liberty  1809 – present

 

County Courthouse – Liberty 

 

Location:  243 West Main Street / South Broad Street

Built:  1839 – 1840

Style:  Antebellum

Architect:  William C Harrell

Contractor:  Robert Stewart Jr.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a large porch on the first and second stories. There is a sloped green colored roof. On the center of the roof is a small octagonal white colored cupola with green colored roof. On the east side and west side are new wings. The additions were constructed in 1937 to 1938 under the Works Project Administration. Further additions were made in 1969 and in 1975 when the architect was Ragland Watkins..

 

Note:  The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1812. The second and present courthouse was built in 1840 and is the oldest courthouse in Mississippi which is still in use and which has not been substantially altered. The courthouse in Adams County is the oldest having been constructed in 1819, but the building has been substantially altered from the original structure.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County and Lincoln County

E – Pike County

S – Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana and Saint Helena Parish, Louisiana

W – Wilkinson County

 

 

 

1131no11

County Courthouse – Liberty

 

 

1132no11

 

 

1133no11

 

 

1135no11

 

 

1137no11

Photos taken 2011