Wadena County

US States / M / Minnesota / Wadena County
034F07

Wadena County is named after the Wadena Trading Post and the name is derived from an Ojibwe word meaning “a little round hill”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hubbard County

E – Cass County

S – Todd County

W – Becker County

 

Created:  June 11, 1858                         Map of Minnesota highlighting Wadena County

County Seat:

Wadena  1858 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wadena

 

Location:  415 Jefferson Street South / Emerson Avenue SW

Built:  1969 – 1970

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Walter S Butler Company of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Edlund Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Wadena and is constructed of reinforced concrete. The building has a sheltered doorway in the center of the long facade which is the only break in the repeating vertical, narrow, double windows with block spandrels between wide two-story slabs of concrete. There is a one story wing on the south side of the building. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  The cupola from the demolished 1886 courthouse is located in West Wadena at the fairgrounds.

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Wadena was selected as the county seat in 1873. The county occupied rented premises. The first courthouse was a one story wood structure built by the Lake Superior and Puget Sound Company at First Street Northwest and Ash Avenue in 1880. The courthouse was sold to the county for $20. The town of Verndale built a courthouse designed and constructed by Thomas C Myers of Verndale in 1866 but Wadena retained the county seat and the second courthouse was two story brick structure built in 1886 at a cost of $8,000. The building was demolished in 1970. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1969 to 1970 at a cost of $850,000.

                

 

033f07

County Courthouse – Wadena

 

 

035f07

 

 

1974mc08

 

 

1975mc08

 

 

1976mc08

Photos taken 2007 and 2008