Todd County

US States / M / Minnesota / Todd County
Todd

Todd County is named for John Blair Todd, who was the commander of Fort Ripley from 1849 to 1856, a general in the American Civil War, a delegate to Congress from the Dakota Territory in 1861 and from 1863 to 1865, and Governor of the Dakota Territory from 1869 to  1871.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wadena County and Cass County

E – Morrison County

S – Stearns County

W – Douglas County and Otter Tail County

 

Created:  February 20, 1855                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Todd County

County Seat:

Long Prairie  1870 – present

 

County Justice Center – Long Prairie

 

Location:  221 1st Avenue South / 3rd Street North

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stegner-Hendrickson-McNutt and Erickson-Ellison

Contractor:  Carlson Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story brick and concrete structure. The building sits at the base of the old courthouse in the center of Long Prairie. The north front has four large white colored columns rising to the roof level. Along the east side are four more white colored columns. The walls are dark blue colored glass. On the west side the section is brick with few windows. The courtrooms are located on the second story, The building is named as the County Justice Center. In 1979 to 1980, the two story service building was completed on the east side. The architect was Stegner-Hendrickson-McNutt and the contractor was Carlson Company. In 1996 to 1997, the modern addition was added to the building on the east side.  The architect was Boarman, Kroos, Pfister, Rudin and Associates and the contractor was E & V Construction Managers.

 

County Courthouse – Long Prairie

 

todd-o

 

Location:  221 1st Avenue South / 3rd Street North

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Italian Renaissance

Architect:  Charles J Sparks

Contractor:  Samuel Lee

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick avant garde structure which sits high on a hill in the center of Long Prairie The north front extends from the building on the first story. The windows on the second are arched. The tower on the third story has five small arched windows. The old courtroom is located at the center of the second story and now houses the Commissioners. In 1938, a tunnel was constructed under the building. the building was renovated in 2012. The architect was Collaborative Design Group and the contractor was Contegrity Group Inc.

 

History:  The first courthouse in 1870 was a donated building in Long Prairie. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure buit by G B V Williams at a cost of $2,500. The third courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884 at a cost of $20,000 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse, the County Justice Center,  was constructed in 1964 to 1965.

                           

 

1770k07

County Justice Center – Long Prairie

 

 

1771k07

 

 

1772k07

 

 

198m19

 

 

1773k07

 

 

181m19

County Courthouse

 

 

1766k07

 

 

 

1768k07

 

 

1767k07

 

 

1972mc08

 

 

185m19

 

 

190m19

 

 

191m19

 

 

192m19

 

 

193m19

 

 

194m19

Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2019