Ramsey County is named after Alexander Ramsey, who was the first Governor of the Minnesota Territory in 1849.
Created: October 27, 1849
Saint Paul 1849 – present
County Courthouse – Saint Paul
Location: 15 Kellogg Boulevard West / Wabasha Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco “Skyscraper Style”
Architect: Thomas Ellerbe & Company of Saint Paul and Holabird & Root of Chicago, Illinois
Contractor: Foley Brothers
Description: The building faces south and is an eighteen story structure. Each of the eighteen floors is finished in a different wood from around the world, and features 23 kinds of wood from 18 counties and marbles from all over the world. Paintings in the Council Chamber depict pioneer days and modern Saint Paul. A 36 foot high onyx statue the “Indian God of Peace” dominates the marble concourse. The building also houses the Saint Paul City Hall.
See: The Minnesota Supreme Court is located in the county.
N – Anoka County
S – Dakota County
Photos taken 2010