Morrison County is named for the brothers William Morrison and Allen Morrison, who were fur traders with the American Fur Company, established trading posts from Grand Portage to the Lake of the Woods, and Allen Morrison was a representative in the first territorial legislature.
Created: February 25, 1856
Little Falls 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Little Falls
Location: 213 1st Avenue SE / 1st Street SE
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Victorian Romanesque Revival
Architect: C A Dunham
Contractor: Foster and Smith of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces west and is a two story yellow colored brick structure. The building is constructed with yellow colored brick on a rusticated gray colored granite foundation. Granite is used for the trim. The four story tower with clock on the southwest corner, dominates the building’s towers, gables and chimneys and the roof is covered with slate shingles. Inside are fireplaces faced with individually designed glazed titles, natural oak trim, stained glass squares and ornate brass hardware. In 1961, a flat rectangular two story brick annex with vertical bands of windows, was added along the north side. In 1969, a matching brick annex was added on the northeast corner of the courthouse square. In 1991 a further addition was built. The architect was Architecturel and the contractor was CAM Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1860 to 1869.
W – Todd County
Photos taken 2008