Location: 25 Revend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.Boulevard / Cedar Street
Built: 1915 – 1917
Architect: Clarence H Johnston Sr.
Contractor: C L Philsbury Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The building houses the Supreme Court on the fourth story and Court of Appeals on the third story. The building is named as the Minnesota Judicial Center. The west front has a wide porch with eight columns rising to a header at the flat roof line. The Supreme Court was formerly located on the second floor in the east wing of the State Capitol. In 1992 to 1993, the building was remodeled. An addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was The Leonard Parker Associates Architects.
State Capitol – Saint Paul
Location: 75 Revend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.Boulevard / Cedar Street
Built: 1896 – 1905
Style: Italian Renaissance
Architect: Cass Gilbert
Contractor: Gunvald Aus.
Description: The building faces south and is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The Supreme Court Chamber is situate in the east wing of the second floor. Above the entrance to the court room is a painting called “The Contemplative Spirit of the East” which symbolized the East as a land of comtemplation and stability as contrasted to the West, a land of progress and activity. The paintings in the court room depicit the development of law; “The Moral and Divine Law” directly over the supreme court bench, “The Adjustment of Conflicting Interests” on the right, “The Tecordinding of Precenents” on the left and “The Relation of the Individual to the State” over the entrance. The paintings are by John LaFarge. The ceiling has a large domed skylight.
See: The building is located in Ramsey County.
Court of Appeals Chamber
Supreme Court Chamber – State Capitol
Photos taken 2010, 2015 and 2017