Fillmore County

US States / M / Minnesota / Fillmore County
Fillmore

Fillmore County is named for Millard Fillmore, who was President of the United States from 1850 to 1853.

 

Created:  March 5, 1853

County Seat:

Chatfield    1854 – 1856

Carimona   1856 – 1863

Preston      1863 – present

 

County Courthouse – Preston

 

Location:  101   Fillmore Street West / St. Paul Street SW

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Eckert and Carlson

Contractor:  W M C Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has square brick pavilions on the corners with vertical brown panels. A brown band follows the roofline and below the band are yellow colored panels with brown trimmed windows beneath. On the south side, the building forms a two story annex descending the slope of the hill. In 1998 a new building was constructed on the south side and completed in 2000. The architect was TSP One Inc. Extensive remodeling of the annex was started in 2004 and completed in 2005. Between the north section and the new south section is a corridor with glass entrances on the east and west. The architect was Kane & Johnson Architects.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1864 by the citizens of Preston  and enlarged in 1885 by architect Mayberry & Sons.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Olmsted County and Winona County

E – Houston County

S – Winneshiek County, Iowa and Howard County, Iowa

W – Mower County

 

     

 

585m17

County Courthouse

 

 

1742k07

                       

       

1743k07

 

 

1744k07

 

 

1746k07

 

 

593m17

 

 

594m17

 

 

595m17

 

 

596m17

 

 

597m17

 

 

598m17

Photos taken 2007 and 2017