Douglas County

US States / M / Minnesota / Douglas County
Douglas

Douglas County is named for Stephen Arnold Douglas, a United States Senator, statesman, and leader of the Democratic Party.

 

Created:  March 8, 1858

County Seat:

Alexandria  1866 – present

 

County Courthouse – Alexandria

 

Location:  305   Eight Avenue West / Elm Street

Built:  1878

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Buechner & Jacobson

Contractor:  Hinkley & Powers

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building was constructed on land donated in 1875 by Mrs. Hicks. The building has a high central square tower with gabled roof. The entrance is recessed with stepsand the base is brownstone and red colored brick. Across the north front are four bays with parapets. The building contains oak woodwork and titled floors. In 1894 and 1895, the building was enlarged. The architect was Raymond & Owen of St. Cloud. An addition was added on the north front in 1940. On the south side is an addition added in 1972. The architect was Foss, Engelstad and Foss of Fargo, North Dakota.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Otter Tail County

E – Todd County

S – Pope County

W – Grant County

 

 

 

691lm07

 

 

0040i-i08

 

 

0041i-i08

 

 

0043i-i08

 

 

0042i-i08

 

 

0044i-i08

Photos taken 2007 and 2008