Dodge County is named for Henry Dodge, who was a territorial governor, delegate in Congress and a United States Senator from Wisconsin from 1836 to 1857, and for his son, Augustus Dodge, who was a delegate to Congress for the Iowa Territory from 1840 to 1847 and a United States Senator from Iowa from 1848 to 1855.
Created: February 20, 1855
Mantorvilie 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Mantorville
Location: 22 6th Street East / Branch Street
Built: 1865 – 1870
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: E Townsend Mix of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contractor: Thomas Marshall and Samuel Wilson
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored stone structure which sits on the side of a hill. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a flat roof, which portico was added in 1900. The architect and contractor was A C Thomas.. A decorative cornice follows the roof line. In the center is an octagonal cupola with silver colored dome. The courtroom is located on the second story. Along the east side is the modern County Courthouse Annex of buff colored brick, dark glass and concrete constructedt in 1990. The architect was Kane and Johnson Associates, Inc.
Note: The cost of construction of the first and p[resent courthouse was $15,000. The locally quarried limestone was slid over the frozen ground to the building site. Thomas Marshall and Samuel Wilson supervised the construction using local labor and trades.
County Administration – Mantorville
Location: 720 North Main Street / 7th Street West
Built: 2014 – 2016
Architect: Wold Architects and Engineers
Contractor: Alvin E Benike, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff and red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the northwest of the courthouse. The west front has a glass panel entrance on the first story and glass panel section on the second story. On the east section is the one story red colored brick section. The building was formerly a school and is named as the Government Services Building.
N – Goodhue County
E – Olmsted County
S – Mower County
W – Steele County
County Courthouse Annex
County Government Services
Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2017