Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, U.S. Senator and Congressman from Kentucky 1806 – 1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.
Created: March 18, 1862
Moorhead 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Moorhead
Location: 807 North 11th Street / North 9th Avenue
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: M O Foss and Associates of Fargo, North Dakota
Contractor: Meinecke-Johnson Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the center of the city and is rectangular and constructed of exterior light colored stone walls which contrast with the horizontal bands formed by the windows and brick spandrels. In the center east front, a two-story smooth, stone faced block projects over the first story. The roof line is flat. Two courtrooms are located on the west side of the first story.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1879. The second courthouse was designed by Keese and Fisk and constructed by John Seegar of Moorhead and Pauly Brothers at a cost of $60,625 in 1883. The building was demolished in 1954.
N – Norman County
S – Wilkin County
W – Cass County, North Dakota
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2018