Becker County is named for the lawyer George Loomis Becker, one of the three people elected to Congress in 1857.
Created: March 18, 1858
Detroit Lakes 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Detroit Lakes
Location: 915 Lake Avenue / Holmes Street West
Built: 1941 – 1942
Architect: Foss and Company of Fergus Falls in association with Willard E. Randolph of Detroit Lakes
Contractor: Foss and Company of Fergus Falls and Ralph L Bloom of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces west and is a three story Bedford stone and concrete structure. The walls are banded with black colored granite that frames the windows and main entrance. A two and a half ton black stone eagle perches on a ledge as a reminder of the federal presence and as a symbol of authority. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed in 2005 to 2007 on the north side. The architect was Lightowler Johnson Associates Inc. and the contractor was Roers’ Construction Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1885 by A A Whittemore with foundations built by T J Martin and Marcus Shaw. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was approximately $250,000.
W – Clay County
New Addition Courtroom
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017