St. Clair County is named for Arthur St. Clair, who was the first governor of the Northwest Territory, or for the Saint Clair River as named by the French explorer La Salle.
Created: September 10, 1820
Saint Clair 1821 – 1870
Port Huron 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Port Huron
Location: 201 McMorran Boulevard / Fort Street
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: Wyeth & Harman and Smith, Hinchman & Grylls
Contractor: Collins and Catlin Company of Port Huron and A J Etkin Construction Company of Detroit
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has the entrance on the west side of the building front. The main entrance section projects with long vertical windows on either side of the doorway and with a long vertical window above the doorway. The building was renovated in 1980 to 1982 when the third story and wings were added. The architect was Roy G French Associates and the contractor was The Management of Michigan Inc. The building was renovated in 2002. The contractor was Dunn Construction / Watson Brothers.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Stephen T Probett & Son in 1872. The building was destroyed by fire in 1949.
County Administration – Port Huron
Location: 200 Grand River Avenue / Fort Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: William Vogan Architects
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse. The north front has a one story portico at the central entrance. Behind, the building rises to a peak with glass panel walls. The roof line is flat.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Sanilac County
E – Ontario, Ontario
Photos taken 2008, 2010 and 2018